I hate a lot of fuss when it comes to removing my makeup at night. I make sure I am applying makeup that can be easily removed (no waterproof anything!) with just my cleanser. But, there are special occasions where I have to dress up a bit, put on some eyeliner and some heavier mascara and those days call for makeup remover. A while back I had read somewhere that jojoba oil works well as a makeup remover. I have been using that ever since and it does do a decent job. What I really like about the oil is that it is doing so much more than removing makeup. It is very moisturizing and so it helps with under eye wrinkles and conditioning my lashes. It is also great for sensitive skin and does not make me breakout at all!
On my recent trip to Oregon I had to make a stop at Powell's. There I found a great DIY skin care book called, Organic Body Care Recipes. Inside I discovered a recipe for makeup remover that used jojoba. I thought I would give it a try. It was so simple to make, used only 3 ingredients, and I believe does work better than just jojoba on its own.
- 1 tablespoon jojoba oil
- 7 tablespoons pure vegetable shortening
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- glass jar with lid
- Warm jojoba oil and shortening over low heat in a small saucepan until the two have melted
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for about 15 minutes
- Add in the lavender and stir with a spoon until the mixture becomes thick and opaque
- Pour into a storage jar, cap, and let sit for a couple hours or until it becomes a creamy consistency (to make this go faster you can put the container in the fridge for 30 minutes)
- Use within 12 months
- The remover can be applied with your fingers or a cotton pad. A little bit goes a long way!
Above is a cute way to package the makeup remover if you are making it as a gift. I put a few cotton pads on top and tied it up with some twine.